Motorcycle Accident Attorney In Sherman Oaks
Our Motorcycle Injury Lawyer Will Help You Recover Compensation
If you own a motorcycle in California, one of the biggest benefits is riding down many of the state’s highways, enjoying the beautiful scenery along the way. Unfortunately, your pleasant ride will quickly end when you find yourself involved in a severe accident with a driver who is speeding, driving while trying to text or talk on their cellphone, or even eating their lunch while behind the wheel.
Unlike drivers in car accidents and truck accidents, the fact is you are now dealing with severe injuries from the crash that will impact your life for many months, if not longer. Rather than allow the driver to head off into the sunset without being held accountable for their negligence, hire a motorcycle accident lawyer in Sherman Oaks victims trust to begin your personal injury lawsuit.
Get The Justice You Deserve
Instead of allowing the driver who caused your accident and their insurance company to walk away, don’t hesitate to consult with an attorney for compensation. By taking this step, you can learn of your legal options and let the other driver and insurance company know you mean business.
When Anna Okhovat began this law firm several years ago, her mission has been and continues to be centered around personal injury law. Her goal is to provide legal counsel, support and the highest level of care. We are also recognized by:
- Having a proven track record
- Providing one-on-one contact with clients
- Not charging fees unless the case is won
- Taking a personalized approach to every case
Okhovat Law Firm has a reputation for getting clients the results they need. In fact, one of our clients who was struck on his motorcycle by a car had been denied liability by the opposing insurance company. After litigating for nearly two years, the defense raised their offer, and the case settled for $575,000.
When you are ready to get the justice and compensation you deserve for your accident, our bodily injury lawyer in Sherman Oaks will be ready to take your call at 310-579-9082.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
According to the NHTSA, motorcycle riders are 16 times more likely to be injured than those who are driving motor vehicles and are an astounding 35 times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash. A few injuries you might sustain are:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Neck and back damages
- Road rash and lacerations
- Severe brain damage
- A wide range of other injuries
Even if the motorcyclist were wearing a helmet before the crash, the severe impact could result in a fatality. You can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the defendant if this has happened to your loved one.
The road to recovery is long as well as expensive. With medical bills now being delivered daily and with no end in sight regarding medical treatment, don’t sit back until you are ruined financially. To start filing a claim for your motorcycle accident, speak to a Sherman Oaks motorcycle crash attorney.
What Causes These Accidents?
Speeding and distracted driving are two of the most well-known causes why an accident occurs. However, other factors come into play as well. In some cases, drivers might be driving while intoxicated, while in other situations they were following a motorcyclist too closely and not obeying the rules of the road.
In the end, you’ll find yourself wondering what life holds in store for you in the coming months. Victims tend to experience lost wages from taking time off of work and emotional or physical pain and suffering. To ensure you get the compensation needed to make your future a bit brighter, contact a Sherman Oaks motorcycle crash injury lawyer who cares about you and your well-being.
Building The Case
There are many complex aspects of motorcycle accident cases. To win on a consistent basis, a skilled motorcycle injury lawyer will use many tactics. One of the most effective is hiring a private investigator to gather and examine evidence associated with the case and the driver who caused the accident.
Since police may only do a minimal amount of investigating regarding the accident, details uncovered by an investigator can make all the difference in winning or losing your case. Along with this, an investigator and your attorney can speak to witnesses who saw the crash to gain additional information. You’ll stand a much better chance of being awarded the financial compensation you and your family need.
Denying Your Claim
Even if you are an extremely safe motorcyclist and have never before been involved in an accident, don’t expect insurance companies to consider this once you file your personal injury lawsuit. Instead, they will rely on the unfair reputation motorcycle riders have for being reckless on the road to create a scenario where they claim you caused the accident.
When this happens, never try to handle this situation on your own and think you will be able to win. Instead, turn to a motor accident lawyer to put an insurance company in its proper place and hold them accountable for paying you a fair settlement.
Related Articles About Motorcycle Accidents
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be devastating, and it’s often negligence exhibited by both the motorcyclist and other parties that lead to these accidents. By making yourself aware of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes, you can hopefully identify the situations where a wreck can occur.
- Left-hand turns: Drivers need to take the extra time to check their blind spot before making a left turn. All too often, drivers hit motorcyclists when crossing an intersection or going around another car.
- Motorcycle lane splitting: Lane splitting is legal in California, but passing through the small space between cars can be dangerous. When drivers are unsuspecting, they may start changing lanes without realizing their close proximity to a motorcycle. Additionally, parked drivers may often open their doors, hitting a motorcyclist who may be riding close to their car.
- Speeding: A motor vehicle driver who is speeding is unable to respond to unexpected events in time to avoid a collision. By minding your speed, you can ensure ample reaction times on the road.
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol: Drugs and alcohol slow reaction times, reduce visibility and incite risky behaviors. Not only is it risky, but those who choose to take to the road under the influence can be given serious jail time and fees. It should also be noted that prescription medicines can severely impact one’s coordination and reaction times, so you should check with a doctor before driving after taking a prescription medication.
- Collisions with fixed objects: Motorcyclists are also in danger if they collide with fixed and discernible objects. While drivers can also be seriously injured or killed if they crash into objects, motorcyclists have much less protection around them, making their accidents more severe. Collision with fixed objects accounts for 25% of motorcyclist deaths.
- Road hazards: As a motorcyclist, road hazards such as potholes, wet pavements, uneven roads and dead animals can knock your bike off balance because your bike is too small to absorb the shock created by running over obstacles.
A Guide to Lane Splitting
Lane splitting, also referred to as stripe riding, is a popular maneuver performed by bikers when they ride between two lanes of cars going the same direction. Instead of being stuck in California’s seemingly endless stop-and-go traffic, lane splitting allows motorcyclists to get to their destination much faster.
Since rear-ending accidents are so common in bumper-to-bumper traffic, many argue that lane-splitting is safer than the traditional method of riding within a lane. However, motorcyclists should keep in mind that riding between cars gives them, at most, three feet to maneuver their motorcycle. Because of this, they should stay very vigilant if they choose to lane split.
How Much Is My Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim Worth?
When you’re involved in a car accident, it not only puts your health at risk, but your bike is also likely to be in disrepair. In the days after the crash, you will be thinking about all the ways the accident has set you back financially. You may even be worried if your insurance policy is enough to cover all your medical bills. At Okhovat Law Firm, we can provide you with a full case evaluation during your consultation to determine how much your injury claim is worth. It gives us a better idea of how we might be able to help you and ease your mind while you focus on recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents
How can I minimize the risk of injury when I take my bike out on the road?
- Wear a helmet when you’re riding
- Avoid riding closely behind other vehicles
- Put on reflective gear at night to increase others’ visibility of you
- Always be mindful of your surroundings, especially when lane splitting
I wasn’t wearing a helmet when I was injured. Can I still recover damages?
You can still recover damages if you weren’t wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. Instead of getting maximum compensation, you’d receive partial compensation depending on your level of contribution to the accident based on California’s comparative negligence laws.
What happens if I am involved in a noncontact accident?
A “no contact” accident is when an accident ensues, but the motorcyclist does not make physical contact with the motor vehicle. These cases are usually hard to prove without sufficient evidence. If you suffered injuries, we could help you hold the defendant accountable.
What should I do if I need compensation following an accident?
A talented car accident lawyer in Sherman Oaks is crucial to fair treatment following your car accident. The attorneys at Okhovat Law Firm will aid you in your legal fight for fair compensation. Contact the office today so you can get one step closer to moving past the accident.